August 28, 2008

Cambria's 1st College Experience

I rarely share family stories online but this was a good one! Cambria and I were laying in her bed and we had just finished reading a 'Strawberry Shortcake' book and 'Duck in the Truck' when I told her that next year she gets to go to school and when she's bigger, she gets to go to college! I then told her that I'm going to miss her when she goes to college. I couldn't have guessed her reaction. Cambria tucked her head into my chest, wrapped her arms around me and squeezed me so tight and then tears started flowing. She cried so hard and said "Mom, I'm gonna miss you too!  I don't want to college because then you won't have a little girl at home anymore and you'll be alone!" What a sweetheart! About this time, I tried to console her and tell her it was all right to go to college when she was bigger because daddy and I went and she'll be so smart. I even said she could go to BYU where I went and she could still live at home in the basement with all her friends! She didn't want to! She didn't want to go at all. She couldn't stop her crying and I really mean the tears were flowing so hard that her pillow was soaking wet in areas. I heard Brett coming up the stairs from the boys and had him come into the room. (I don't know if it was a good idea or not because this is what he did.)
I told him quickly what had occurred and he sat next to Cambria when she reached over and gave him a great big hug too! He said "I will miss you too!!" Totally making the problem worse again because he made her start crying hard again. They exchanged conversation about college when I heard her finally say "I don't want you to say that word anymore, ever again!" "I don't like that word." Brett was still acting so sad to be missing her that I finally had to pinch him and make him stop making her keep crying. It was so sad and cute at the same time. We couldn't help but giggle at her completely girly reaction to 'going to college'. What a cute girl though - she was more worried about us being all alone and not having a little girl anymore. She again told us (which occurs almost daily) that we would have to buy another little girl so we wouldn't be alone. Good thing they grow up to understand the child thing better! Well, that's our story about Cambria and her first ever college experience!
Also last night, we were sitting around the dinner table when dad and the boys went down to go to bed and Cambria and I stayed until she was finished eating. While Brett was there, I asked him to do the dishes since it had been awhile since he had a turn and he's really good at helping. I was so tired that night. Of course, he took the boys to bed first. When he had gone down the stairs, Cambria turned to me and said "Mommy, you do the dishes. Daddy always does them." Wow!!  I smiled at her and said "Cambria, Mommy has done them all week, I've done all the laundry (which there seems to be a lot lately), mom cleaned daddy's garage out and I'm tired. It's daddy's turn to help tonight."  She looked at me only a short wink and said "Okay, you're right. It's dad's turn."  She then laughed and yelled, "Dad, it's your turn to do the dishes, not mom's!"   I am so glad I have a little helper to keep dad in line.

2 comments:

Amy said...

How sweet that she thinks of how you guys will feel, that says a lot about her sweet little personality. Love it. Is she feeling any better today, I finally am, sheesh that kicked my butt!

Stephanie said...

I love the family stories, Sam kills us with the things that she comes up with. That is so great that she loves you so much!